Wednesday 30 March 2011

The Silmarillion Fini

This has taken me a while to post, I've been a bit ill recently but I'm better now hopefully and shall get back to posting more often.

These are my final illustrations of 'The Silmarillion' by JRR Tolkien.
This one is Telperion and Laurelin, the trees of Valinor. Born of the thought of Yavanna and the ancestors of the sun and the moon and the White Tree of Gondor.


This is the Vala Oromë and his horse Nahar. He was a hunter and with his hounds he hunts the fell beasts of Melkor's thought.



This is the elven city Tirion sat upon the green hill of Túna nestled between the Pelóri Mountains. Here the Noldor and the Vanyar lived in harmony.



These last two illustrations are the least successful, I was ill at the time but they were also my least developed ideas.
Fëanor rallying the Noldor to return to middle earth and recapture the silmarils stolen from them by Melkor.



And finally, Carcharoth the werewolf, fed on Melkor's hate, evil and power, after he has bitten off the hand of Beren which was holding a silmaril.



I really enjoyed this project, especially the painting part of it. I first read the Silmarillion when I was about fourteen maybe fifteen, I really enjoyed it as a challenge because it was so hard to read. I got a bit worried about half way through the project that by illustrating this book I would ruin it for myself but even though it didn't go well at the end I don't think I've ruined it. My favourite of the five is Tirion on Túna, I like the colours.

1 comment:

  1. hi, I really like your work. Im coming to cumbria for illustration in september :) cant wait. x

    ReplyDelete