Thursday 14 October 2010

Pauline Baynes and Smith of Wootton Major



I'm a fan of JRR Tolkien, I admit it. Although I'll also admit that I never finished Lord of The Rings, I got bored of Frodo. But anyway, knowing my like of Tolkien, last year my parents came to visit me in Carlisle and went to the second hand book shop. My next birthday arrived and I unwrapped this book. This beautifully illustrated book.



The story is about a boy who swallows a Fay-star that was put into a great cake. When he grows up he then takes great adventures and sees a tree growing many different fruits, a red lake and he meets fairies and elves. It's a really good story (in my opinion) and it's enhanced by its lovely line drawn illustrations by Pauline Baynes.



Baynes was an English book illustrator who died only a few years ago in 2008. She did many collaborations with JJR Tolkien and also with CS Lewis. I really like her style and she's made this book even more special then if it was just pure text and a birthday present. Another favourite illustrator.

No comments:

Post a Comment