Friday, 21 January 2011


So yesterday our tutor Simon came over to a group of us and asked us to follow him... it sounded exciting and off we went. He led us to the Uni's reception where there was two gigantic piles of paper. It was our job to move it chunk by chunk to the studio... slave labour anyone? But anyway we did so and I decided well if we have this paper and I moved a lot of it that I was going to reap the rewards and use plenty of it. And so into existance came my whales...

These first three were done with a big fat beautiful but fairly cheap brush.
(From the top: Right Whale, Sperm Whale and Narwhal)

And the final two where done with a roller. The green one is a Humpback Whale and is done without me masking the edges to make them straight. The last one is a Whale Shark, not actually a whale but it is in the name, and I did use masking tape on this one. One final note on the Whale Shark... real whale sharks have spots but I unfortunately didn't have the foresight to lay down masking fluid first, but I may at a later date try that.

I had so much fun doing these, I was originally only going to do one (the right whale) but it was so much fun I got carried away and did another four. I am now glad we have the enormous (but slowly depleting) pile of paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment