Sunday 8 August 2010

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Summer is not the funnest time in our house. Me and my sisters tend to go a little crazy with no where to go and so yesterday our Mum took us out to a Book Farm. Astley book farm is a second hand bookshop on a farm not far from where we live, there were books upon books and it was pretty cool.


It was here that I discovered a book: 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes' by Anita Loos. Published in 1925 and then made into a film in 1953 and starred Marilyn Monroe.

When I picked it up I was interested first in the title, I've seen the film and really enjoyed it, and hadn't realised it was a book. Then I took the book out of it's sleeve and saw the back cover.



I liked this picture from the moment I saw it. I think that these guys ooze character even though they look very similar in structure. After discovering them I was buying the book even if it turned out to be totally rubbish after a cheeky first chapter read. I turned the book over and the front cover was also pretty cool but I like it less then the gentlemen on the back.



She is the star of the book and the character played by Marilyn Monroe. She's pretty cool and I quite like her fashion, the way she's posing shows her character and I like that. Still however prefer the gentlemen.

So about an hour later after riffling through a several more rooms of books and books and books I purchased 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes' for £7.50. It was only when I got home that I opened the book and discovered more amazing illustrations (that I haven't scanned on being silly and not wanting to flatten in) and a lovely typeface in brown on pale yellow paper. I am so happy I bought this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment